Mississippi Schools for The Deaf & The Blind
State Life and Retirement Options
What is State Life Insurance?
A program offered to all the Mississippi Schools for the Deaf and the Blind employees through the State of Mississippi. This is a Basic Life Insurance program that can provide a cash benefit in the event the insured passes away.
Eligibility: All the Mississippi Schools for the Deaf and the Blind employees
Coverage through Minnesota Life Insurance Company (Securian Financial)
50% of coverage is paid for by the Mississippi Schools for the Deaf and the Blind
Coverage available: Up to 2 times basic annual earnings up to a max of $100,000
Retiree Coverage: Coverage up to $20,000 available (based on retiree date)
Continuation of Coverage: Policy Number: 33683 Access Key: msse Phone: 866.365.2374
Contact Campus Benefits for assistance.
Call 1-866-433-7661, option 5
Contacts and Beneficiary Update Information
Minnesota Life Phone: 888.658.0193
To manage your beneficiary designation online:
1. Log in to bcbsms.com. If you have not previously registered, information will be required from your BCBSMS ID card to complete the registration process.
2. Go to the My Benefits tab.
3. Under the Life Benefits section, click the link to update the beneficiary information. You will see a notification asking you to “Agree” to be transferred to a secure portal provided by Minnesota Life. Click “I Agree.”
4. Click “View beneficiary.”
5. If you need to make any changes, click “Update Designation,” and provide the name(s), relationship(s) and respective benefit shares.
6. After this information has been entered, you will receive an email acknowledgment, as well as a letter in the mail confirming your changes to your beneficiary designation.
What is PERS? PERS is the Public Employees’ Retirement System of Mississippi. The Public Employees’ Retirement System of Mississippi (PERS) is a governmental defined benefit plan qualified under Section 401(a) of the Internal Revenue Code. PERS was established by the state Legislature in 1952 to provide benefits to eligible Mississippi public employees working for state agencies, universities, community colleges and public schools, as well as counties, cities, and other participating political subdivisions. The mission of PERS is to provide secure benefits to our members and consistently deliver quality service by meeting our customer’s needs, operating efficiently and transparently, investing and managing assets prudently, and acting in the best interest of all members.
Visit the PERS website for helpful resources: CLICK HERE
PERS Contact Information
Phone: 800.444.7377 / 601.359.3589
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm
Mississippi Deferred Compensation
It’s never too early to start planning for the future you want. MDC allows you to save a portion of each paycheck for your retirement. Part of financial health involves knowing how much you need in retirement. Consider supplementing your future savings through the Mississippi Deferred Compensation Plan (MDC).
1. It’s automatic and controlled by you
You choose the amount you want to save
2. It probably costs less than you think
You can start saving with as little as $25 per month.
3. Give yourself some credit
You may be eligible for an IRS Saver’s Credit on the first $2,000 you contribute to MDC, based on your adjusted gross income and tax filing status.
4. Starting early makes a difference
Waiting could impact how much you’ll have for retirement.
5. Lower expenses
With MDC, you may have the potential for lower investment management expenses.
6. Investment assistance
MDC provides a variety of investment choices so you can build the right mix for your future.
7. Local people for help
Local MDC representatives are ready to help you plan for your future.
8. Resources at your fingertips
Take advantage of convenient resources and plan educational materials available 24/7 at www. mdcplan.com.
9. Stay as long as you like
Even after you retire or separate from service, you can keep your account right where it is so you have access to all the MDC resources
10. A partner for your future
PERS oversees MDC on an ongoing basis on your behalf.
How do I enroll?
You can easily enroll online by visiting www.mdcplan.com.
Prior to enrolling, contact your human resources department or your local MDC representative to obtain a Plan Enrollment Code flier, which will include a specific code needed to enroll online.
Once you have the Plan Enrollment Code flier, visit www.mdcplan.com and click on the REGISTER button.
Select I have a plan enrollment code and follow the prompts on the website.
Visit www.mdcplan.com for more information, or to find your local MDC representative